A classic Prawn Cocktail recipe! Juicy prawns (shrimp) tossed in a beautiful Prawn Cocktail Sauce (Rose Marie Sauce – a pink mayonnaise). The key to a good Rose Marie Sauce is a good mayonnaise. Use whole-egg if you can find it . (Note 1) A classic Aussie summer festive starter!
Serves : 6
Good source of Protein
Share this recipe
- 1 kg / 2 lb medium fresh cooked or raw prawns with shell and heads on
- 600 g / 1.2 lb fresh cooked prawns already peeled
- About 3 cup iceberg lettuce, finely sliced
- Lemon wedges
- Finely chopped parsley
- 2/3 cup / 165 ml mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp freshly grated horseradish
- Dash of tabasco sauce
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- If you are using whole prawns, remove heads and peel them. Leave a few whole for decorative purposes, if you wish. I find that with medium size already cooked prawns, deveining is usually not necessary (it’s hard to do + so small it’s barely noticeably especially with sauce).
- Mix together Sauce in a small bowl.
Toss prawns with Sauce.
- Place a bit of lettuce in serving dishes. I like to use Martini glasses, but you can use any small serving vessel, or even small lettuce cups.
- Top with prawns. Serve, garnished with lemon wedges and a sprinkle of parsley, if using.