This dish is perfect for a quick and light lunch served with good bread or as a first course for an al fresco dinner.
- 9 baby squid (3 per person)
- 15g garlic (3)
- 20g chilli (1)
- 1 tbsp of chopped chives
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Prepare the Squid by separating the head from the body, remove the feather cartilage. Cut the head away from the tentacles by slicing just under the eyes (discard the head) and push out the beak from the middle of the tentacles.
- With a sharp knife, slice the body in half, open it out and carefully score the flesh in a criss-cross pattern, making sure not to cut right through the flesh.
- Peel and slice the garlic, finely chop the chilli and chives
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl, apart from the chives and lemon juice, and toss them all together. Put a very large frying pan on to a very high heat and allow it to get unbelievably hot. Squid is mostly water which all flows out when heated so it needs to be cooked as quickly as possible. You are able to heat the pan so high because there is no oil in it so it will not burst into flame.
- Put the squid into the pan and cook it for 1 minute.
- Add the chives and lemon juice to the pan, stir it to mix them in and then serve it immediately.