- 4 tomatoes
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 10 cm piece ginger, peeled and grated
- Preheat deep fryer to 180C.
- Lightly char tomatoes all over by holding over a flame. Chop and set aside.
- To make the curry sauce, place 1 ½ tbsp oil in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, turmeric and garlic and cook until translucent. Add cumin, paprika, coriander, chilli, mustard seeds and curry leaves and continue to fry until mustard seeds are popping. Add chopped, charred tomatoes and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Boil until tomatoes are soft and sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and strain. Add yoghurt and cream and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the flour and 1 tsp salt in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the crab halves and toss to coat.
- Place crab halves in hot oil and fry until golden, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel.
- To serve, place a crab half on each plate. Pour over curry sauce, gently re-warmed if necessary. Garnish with coriander leaves and chilli. Season with salt, to taste.