10m preparation, 45m-1h cooking
Serves 4 – 6
Rich in Omega 3
This simple marinated octopus salad will transport you to a sun-soaked island even in the depths of winter. The octopus is cooked until tender and then marinated in olive oil, vinegar and garlic. Serve as a starter, preferably with an ice cold drink on the side.
Try our recipe by Lucy Parissi
Ingredients for the Octopus
1- 1.5kg cleaned frozen octopus
1 tsp salt
3 bay leaves
Ingredients for the salad
1 small red onion, very finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
90ml virgin olive oil
35ml white wine vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper
- Remove the packaging from the octopus and place in a large bowl. Fill the bowl with cold water and allow to gradually thaw.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add the bay leaves and salt.
- Add the octopus and simmer for 45 minutes. Drain and allow to cool. If the octopus still feels a bit tough then continue to cook for another 15 minutes but don’t overdo it!
- Cut the cooled octopus into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl with the minced garlic, olive oil and vinegar.
- Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes. Add the chopped onion and parsley and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve as a starter at room temperature.