Simply delicious and simple.
- 600-800g Sprats,depending on their size
- A cup of milk
- 100g self-raising flour
- Salt and cayenne pepper
- Oil for deep frying
For the sauce
- A handful of wild garlic leaves
- tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 3-4tbsp of good quality mayonnaise
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a pan, add the wild garlic leaves and stir for about 20 seconds until they are wilted. Blend coarsely in a liquidiser (you may need to add a little water to get it blended), then mix with the mayonnaise.
- Pre-heat about 8cm of oil to 160-180C in a large thick-bottomed saucepan or electric deep-fat fryer. Season the flour well with the salt and cayenne pepper, then coat the Sprats well in the flour, shaking off any excess. Put them briefly in the milk then back through the flour.
- Deep fry them in 2 or 3 batches for about 3-4 minutes, or until golden and drain on kitchen paper. Serve with the garlic mayonnaise.