- cucumber ½, halved lengthways and seeds scraped out
- red onion ½ small, finely sliced
- caster sugar ½ tsp
- white wine vinegar 2 tsp
- tartare sauce 4 tbsp
- American mustard 2 tsp
- Tabasco a few dashes
- breaded chunky cod or haddock fillets 350-400g pack
- monterey jack or emmental 4 slices
- soft buns 4, split and toasted
- Little Gem 1, leaves separated
Chop the cucumber into very thin slices and put in a bowl with the onion, sugar and vinegar. Season and toss. Mix together the tartare sauce, mustard and Tabasco.
Cook the fish following pack instructions then cut in half to make 4 squarish pieces. Top with a cheese slice and return to the oven for a minute or so until melted.
To assemble the sandwiches, spread the bun bottoms with a little spicy tartare, add a couple of lettuce leaves, and some of the drained cucumber and onion, then top with a piece of fish, more sauce and the bun tops.